Monday, March 28, 2011

The Daffodil Principle

What I am inspired by

The Daffodil Principle. Have you heard this [apparently true] story? It's about a hillside of daffodils planted bulb by bulb by a single woman, and the moral of the story is that anything can be accomplished with small - sometimes baby - steps. I heard the story for the first time a few years ago when I had 4 young children, all at home, and was feeling particularly unproductive! After hearing the story, I realized that I may not be able to spend hours a day painting, or put together a collection or a series, but I could paint a little bit whenever I had the time, and perhaps the accumulation of these small moments might actually add up to a complete painting! This was my first piece after a very long time away...



What I am creating

I've been wanting to do a series of paintings of the birth month flowers. I intended to start in January (with the carnation) and do one painting a month all year. It's nearly the end of March now, and I haven't even picked up a brush - I guess the idea of 12 paintings was overwhelming! Keeping in mind the Daffodil Principle, I've decided to take baby steps - I'll start with March and work little by little, and if it doesn't get done until July, that's ok! Guess what the flower for March is... : )

2 comments:

  1. Delighted to see this, Holly. Will keep track of your progress with great pleasure. Love, Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good news, Holly. We'll be following your blog with interest. We know that you can make those flowers come alive for us.
    Louise and Dave

    ReplyDelete